Contrary to what many might think, a security guard needs to go through a process of formation, training, and comprehensive training to optimally exercise their functions, without falling into excesses or oversights.
So we will explain, in detail, the functions inherent to a security guard and their importance from an operational approach.
What is a Security Guard?
A security guard is a professional trained to perform functions of protecting people, infrastructure, places, and valuable assets. They are usually linked to:
- Safeguarding the physical integrity of the people of an organization.
- The protection of fixed or mobile assets and assets.
- To the monitoring of places.
- Surveillance for the correct compliance with protocols and services of companies or institutions.
Depending on the nature or demands of customers or applicants, the surveillance, monitoring, and protection service may be more specialized, so the profiles of security agents may be more diverse and specific. It all depends on the characteristics and complexity of work that is required to be done.
In this sense, you can observe security agents with different equipment or armaments depending on the handling of situations that concern them. However, it is important to note that the handling of lethal or non-lethal weapons will always be governed by current legislation.
What does it take to be a security guard?
- Be responsible and compliant: The functions must be performed with mystique and discipline since any omission or wrong act can harm the work of the team and cause damage to the organization.
- It must be observant and analytical. On this capability depends the recognition of suspects, the identification of risks, and the mitigation of threats.
- Be proactive. Through the detection of potentialities and strengths, a security guard can propose punctual and effective solutions as well as improvements to the protocols that the company has been performing.
- You must be patient. Especially when dealing with aggressive people and when working in controlled environments.
- It must be practical and common sense.
- React quickly to unfavorable situations, but be restrained so as not to harm the integrity of their peers and their own.
- Must be in the good physical condition and able to follow instructions.
- It must communicate clearly.
- Know how to work as a team.
Functions and duties of a Security Guard
The roles of security guards can vary somewhat depending on your specific training. However, there are general and common functions. They could be summarized as follows:
General Security Guard Functions
- Implement prevention tactics against vandalism or to avoid any transgression of property that may mean the deterioration of the quality of life of the people who live there and the depreciation of the value of the goods.
- Apply criteria for the identification and selection of personnel allowed for each area, as well as the mechanisms of eviction of suspicious or unauthorized persons.
- Make use of security systems and instruments, such as surveillance cameras and closed-circuit television.
- Keep a detailed record of the entries, exits, accidents and other novelties that have occurred through the security log. To that is added the background check and the follow-up of the novelty.
- Plan and execute tours to provide protection in all shifts. Other tours should be random to avoid predicting patterns.
- Safeguard the goods and values entrusted. In case of being goods of high value, the security company must train its personnel for the specific handling of situations inherent in the protection and transport of said goods.
- Apply persuasive tactics and deterrence of moods and situations that threaten people, goods, and infrastructure.
Contact Stalwart Security Services for professionally trained security guards.